Saturday, May 23, 2009

The 13th Book Fair

It had been an annual ritual for me to visit the Book exhibition that used to take place every year at Bhrikuti Mandap. But I thought that it was a double treat as this year I had to visit the fair not solely because of my interest but also as an assignment of a Media Project course. Before entering the hall, I had assumed that a flood of people would be pushing me and I have to peep through the shoulders of massive people around me. However, to my great surprise, the fair was not at all crowded. The stalls had very few numbers of buyers and I could move through the stalls with great ease finding all the books I wanted to buy without any pushing or pulling from the crowd. Talking about this situation of the book exhibition, one of the big stall, educational book house clarified that the organizers did not do enough homework for the exhibition, they have taken the popularity for granted, and they had not done sufficient advertising about the event. The stall owner even informed us that they have to think quite hard to put the stall next year. It was very frustrating remark for all the book lovers like me.

Well, one good thing about the lesser number of people was that I could roam around in educational section as well. I saw many projects of students of different colleges but the project that impressed me was "Electrical traditional cereals grinder" developed by the team of brothers Mahendra and Tanka Bhattarai studying Food technology at Golden Gate International College. They said that they developed the project with the help of their physics teachers. I wish them luck.